Do I need to take a placement exam?
Students attending college for the first time or enrolling in college-level English, reading or math classes for the first time must have a placement score on file.
- Students who do not have a qualifying High School GPA, ACT/SAT or GED test score and are new to college or those without college-level credits in English, reading or math are required to complete placement testing in all three subject areas.
- Attended high school in the U.S. within the last 10 years, completed at least 2 years of high school, and you have an overall, unweighted high school GPA of 2.6+, please log in to this website with your MEID and password and submit a copy of your HS transcript that includes a cumulative, unweighted GPA - you may be able to use them for course placement
- Taken the ACT/SAT or GED within the last five years, please log in to this website with your MEID and password and submit a copy of your test scores - you may be able to use them for course placement
How will I know which course I placed into?
To determine the course you placed into, you may use the MCCCD Placement Coach or review the MCCCD Placement Chart.
- MCCCD Placement Coach - The Placement Coach is programmed to provide course recommendations using any of the approved placement measures.
- MCCCD Placement Chart - Provides a complete list of the placement ranges for English, reading and math
How do I improve my placement recommendations?
- If you took an EdReady placement exam, you may work on the recommended Study Paths, and posts tests to increase your score. You will not need to retake the whole test.
- If you took Accuplacer Advanced Algebra and Functions placement exam, you may retake the exam once after a 24-hour waiting period.
What are my next steps after completing my placement exams?
Students will have to attend a Puma Pre-Advising session once they have completed their placement tests. Click here to register.
Where can I find my placement test results?
To access all of your placement scores currently on file, follow these steps:
- Navigate to maricopa.edu/students
- Select Student Center and log in with your MEID & Password
- Select the Academic Records tile
- Select Student Test Scores link from the menu on the left - use the Placement Coach, or the MCCCD Course Placement Chart to determine initial course placement.
Paradise Valley Community College has adopted several different tools (High School GPA, Accuplacer, EdReady, SAT, ACT, GED) that students may use for initial course placement into English, reading and math. Students may enroll in any class they are placed into based on any of the placement tools.
Can I retake my placement exam?
Students who complete an EdReady Placement Exam, may work on the recommended Study Paths and posts tests to increase their score. You will not need to retake the whole test. Students who took Accuplacer Advanced Algebra and Functions test may retake the placement exam once after a 24-hour waiting period.
How long are my scores valid?
*Placement test scores are usually valid for 2 years from the date of testing. During pandemic operations placement test scores will be valid for 5 years, with the exception for those students who place Reading Exempt, that placement will not expire.
What do I need to bring with me to take a Placement Test(s)?
- Your PVCC MEID or Student Number - If you haven't been admitted to the college, please navigate to https://admissions.maricopa.edu/ and submit the Student Admissions Application prior to taking your placement test.
- Current, valid photo ID from this list
I plan to attend PVCC, but live outside of Maricopa County. How can I take the placement tests?
- You may take EdReady, online at your convenience. Your MEID and password are required to take EdReady.
- We are happy to set up a voucher that will allow you to take the Accuplacer Advanced Algebra and Functions test closer to home. Please call us at 602-787-7050 for more information.