CLEP-College Level Examination Program
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) allows you to receive credit for what you already know for a fraction of the cost of a college course. With a passing score on one CLEP exam, you could earn three or more college credits, which can shorten the time it takes to earn a degree. Each college or university sets its own CLEP policy regarding how much credit will be granted and for which courses. For a current list of exams and scores accepted at the Maricopa Community Colleges, check out our College Catalog.
All CLEP tests are computer-based and are 90 minutes in length except the College Composition test which is 120 minutes in length. World Languages tests involve a listening section and require the use of headphones which we will supply.
The CLEP exams are administered in-person and by appointment only.
How do I take a CLEP exam at PVCC?
- Register and pay for your exam at the official CLEP website.
- Print your exam registration ticket.
- Schedule your appointment and secure your test seat at PVCC.
Please note each CLEP exam is a total of $118:
- $93 exam fee paid to CLEP when you register for your exam
- $25 proctoring fee paid to PVCC the day of your appointment (fees subject to change)
What to Bring on Test Day
- A valid exam registration ticket
- A form of payment for the $25 proctoring fee
- Valid, current identification: Your driver's license, passport, or other government-issued identification that includes your photograph and signature. You will need to show this identification to be admitted to the testing area. The ID must bear the test taker’s full name exactly as it appears on the registration ticket, including the order of the names.
You'll receive an unofficial score report right after taking the test. If you took the College Composition or Spanish with Writing exams, it takes College Board 2–3 weeks to deliver a score report for these exams. Scores from your CLEP exam can be sent to one institution for free. You can select your preferred college when you pay the exam fee online.
Credit received through CLEP is transferable within the Maricopa Community Colleges, but may not necessarily transfer to other colleges and universities. It is the examinee’s responsibility to consult with the institution that will be receiving the test scores to ensure that the proper tests are taken and to verify the schools' acceptance of the examination.
For more information on CLEP scores and transcripts, click here.
You may not repeat an examination of the same title within three months of the initial testing date. If you retake the examination within the three-month period, your administration will be considered invalid, your score will be canceled and any
test fees will be forfeited.
If you have a learning or physical disability that would prevent you from taking a CLEP exam under standard conditions, you may request accommodations through Disability Resources and Services.
For detailed information about the College Level Examination Program, review their Information for Test Takers.