Terms and Conditions


It is the student’s obligation to understand their rights and responsibilities when receiving financial aid. Therefore, the following information is provided to make you aware of some of the most common policies, procedures and federal regulations that affect students and receipt of financial aid at Paradise Valley Community College.


  1. To receive financial aid, you must be pursuing an eligible degree or certificate program. In addition, you must have a high school diploma, GED or have been home-schooled.
  2. If your Financial Aid award includes a Fed Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan, you must complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at StudentLoans.gov.
    • For instructions on how to complete your MPN, how to reduce your loan amount, applying for additional Direct Stafford Loan Funds and your rights and responsibilities, please read the Federal Direct Student Loan Requirements and Information.
  3. Paradise Valley Community College packages financial aid awards for you with a base Direct Loan amount. As a result, you may be eligible for additional loan funds; however, it is important to plan ahead and borrow responsibly. To request additional loan, you must complete the Additional Loan Funds Request form.
  4. Please click here to read more about Student Loan Code of Conduct.
  5. You must notify the Financial Aid Office in writing to decline any financial aid awarded. Cancellation of financial aid awards do not automatically cancel enrollment. It is your responsibility to follow proper withdrawal procedures through the Admissions and Record Office if you do not wish to be enrolled at Paradise Valley Community College.
  6. Only those with a lawful presence in the U.S. may qualify for MCCCD scholarships or federal financial aid. Any information you provide about your legal status when you apply for financial aid or scholarships may be subject to mandatory reporting to the federal immigration authorities under Arizona law. This does not apply to private scholarship funds held in and distributed by the Maricopa Community Colleges Foundation.

If your Financial Aid award includes a Pell Grant, you must be registered for all classes you intend to take in a semester by the Pell Recalculation Date. Registered courses also include those recognized through the completion of a consortium agreement by the recalculation date between Paradise Valley Community College and the participating school(s). Courses added after these dates will not be considered for Pell Grant payment. If financial aid application was received after that date, the Pell Grant amount will be calculated based on your enrollment at the time the application is complete.

If you wish to be considered for Pell Grant for courses being taken at another Maricopa community college(s), you must submit a completed Consortium Agreement form to the Paradise Valley Community College Financial Aid Office by the Pell Recalculation Date.

Please note that it is the STUDENT's responsibility to pay the tuition using their own funds at the host (participating) school. The home (parent) school cannot put a hold on classes nor contact the host (participating) school to inform them of anticipated aid. Financial aid must be awarded at the home school. Additionally, students requesting loans must be enrolled in at least six credit hours per term at the home school. For all Consortium Agreements the course work at the host institution may not overlap the end date of the prior term or start date of the subsequent term at the home institution.

It is your responsibility to understand the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards. Failure to meet SAP may result in withholding or canceling all or part of your financial aid award(s).

You may only receive federal financial aid funding for one repetition of a previously passed course. A passed course is defined as one in which a grade of A, B, C, D, or P is received.

You may not receive federal aid from more than one school for the same period of enrollment. Doing so may require you to repay all federal aid awarded during that period.

Additional assistance received from ANY source since filing your financial aid application must be reported to the Financial Aid Office. Additional assistance could include, but is not limited to, outside donor scholarships, tribal monies paid directly to you or on your behalf, and awards. Any changes in course load, name, state residency for tuition and fee purposes, should also be reported to the Financial Aid Office.

In accordance with federal regulations, you may be required to repay federal financial aid if you completely withdraw from all classes during a period of enrollment. Any refunds and deposits are applied to institutional debts and/or federal programs as regulated by law. Please visit the Return of Title IV Funds Procedure for breakdown of the process.

Revisions may be made to current award as a result of changes in your eligibility, academic status, or your failure to comply with federal and state laws or regulations and college policies. The college reserves the right to verify attendance, and review, revise, or terminate your financial aid award at any time.

  1. All aid disbursements are handled through the Cashier's Office. Funds, where appropriate, will be applied directly to your tuition/fees, book advance, and other related college charges. If your financial aid is not sufficient to cover your tuition and fees, you must pay the difference. Payment plans may be available to students who do not have sufficient aid to cover all charges by the due date. Please check with the Cashier's Office for more information. All remaining tuition and fees for the semester must be paid by the appropriate tuition and fee payment deadline. You must be registered in ALL credits by the end of the add/drop period each semester.
  2. Loan borrowers are required by the government to complete a Loan Entrance Counseling and Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) before loan funds can be disbursed. The first disbursement of loan funds may be delayed if student is enrolled in late starting/modular classes or is a first time student at Paradise Valley Community College. Loans have multiple disbursements: academic year loans for Fall and Spring semester are disbursed in two equal payments at the beginning of each semester and first year/first time borrowers have a 30 day delayed disbursement. Fall-semester-only, or Spring-semester-only loans are disbursed in two equal payments; one at the beginning of the semester, and a second at the mid-point. Also note that the date indicated on the MPN is not the actual disbursement date to the student. You must be enrolled in at least 6 credits at Paradise Valley Community College to receive loan.
  3. If you still have financial aid remaining after tuition and fee charges are paid, the balance will be provided to you. Excess aid will be disbursed through the MSRP process. You must be enrolled in the minimum required hours based on your award amount in order to receive the financial aid offered. Students should not expect their funds any earlier than the third week after their earliest class start, dependent upon the MSRP delivery method selected. Students with late starting classes or overlapping classes from a prior term may have some (or all) of their grant and/or loan disbursement delayed further. Enrolling in classes with different start dates may delay the disbursement of financial aid monies. Please plan accordingly. If you receive Federal financial aid and do not attend classes, Federal law will require you to repay the money you receive.
  4. Some of the reasons that may prevent a financial aid refund from generating are:
    • Your level of enrollment does not match your financial aid award amount.
    • Your prior semester grades still need to be evaluated or recorded by the Admissions and Records Office.
    • PVCC has an incorrect address for you. Please verify/update your address by logging into your Student Center at www.maricopa.edu/students.
    • You have an outstanding debt at a Maricopa Community College.
    • You are enrolled in courses with different start dates in a semester. This may delay receipt of financial aid funds.
    • The amount of your tuition/fees and book costs incurred is greater than your grant, scholarship and/or loan award.
    • The Financial Aid Office has a hold on your aid award.

The book advance is a pre-disbursement program that allows you to use a portion of your anticipated financial aid to purchase textbooks and supplies from any business.

If your Financial Aid award includes a Federal Work-Study (FWS) award, the amount indicated is the maximum dollars you may earn in a part-time job on-campus. Having a FWS award does not guarantee a job or guarantee you will earn all the dollars awarded. More information about the Federal Work-Study program and hiring procedures is available on the Paradise Valley Community College Federal Work Study website.