How to Become a Registered Nurse (RN)
PVCC participates in the MaricopaNursing program, a consortium of Maricopa community college nursing programs. MaricopaNursing at PVCC provides several ways to become a Registered Nurse (RN):
- Associates of Applied Science in Nursing (AAS): 4-semester program; eligibility to apply for licensure as an RN is granted after completion of AAS degree requirements.
- Concurrent Enrollment Program (CEP): Fast track your nursing degree to become a registered nurse! Learn more at the CEP website.
- Advanced Placement: Available to transfer students from other nursing programs, LPN’s and Paramedics.
- Veterans: Two spots are held in block one admission for eligible qualified veterans.
- Complete Enrollment Steps
- Review the online Nursing Information Session and answer the 8 question quiz
Please review the Nursing Checksheet
- Meet with an advisor - Make an Appointment with Advisor Chris Hunt
Required to apply:
- BIO201 Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- ENG101 or ENG107 First Year Composition
- MAT140 or higher College Mathematics
- CHM130 and 130LL, or CHM130AA Fundamental Chemistry or one year high school chemistry with a grade of C or better.
- All applications submitted on or after December 23, 2021, will require the completion of a Nurse Assistant (NA) course or a current Nurse Assistant certification (CNA) or license (LNA) as a requirement for application.
- A completed nursing application with grades in all required classes on your Maricopa Student Center
- An unrestricted Arizona Dept. of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- Passing scores on the HESI A2 Entrance Exam: 80% or higher in English Composition, 75% or higher in Math. Scores must be satisfied on a single attempt of the test.
After submitting your application and while waiting for placement in MaricopaNursing, consider completing co-requisites and recommended courses below. The recommended courses are useful classes that will help you in the nursing program. Also, if you are planning to pursue your BSN after graduating from PVCC nursing, these courses are required in many RN to BSN programs.
- BIO202 Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- BIO205 Microbiology
- ENG102 or ENG108 First Year Composition
- PSY101 Introduction to Psychology
- CRE101 Critical and Evaluative Reading or Test Exempt
- 2-3 credits of Humanities Elective
- HCR240 HumanPathophysiology
- HCC146 Common Medical Terminology for Health Care
- Classes required for CEP application
Complete nursing details can be found at the Maricopa Nursing Programs page.