Successful Re-entry Strategies
In recent decades, there has been a phenomenal increase in the number of adults who are first-time or returning college students. A few of the factors which have contributed to this enrollment influx are inflation, divorce and technology. There is compelling evidence that this enrollment trend will continue.
For those of you who are considering college, here are some hints and suggestions for your successful entry to college and college studies.
- Set up an appointment early in the semester in the Counseling Divison to discuss strategies.
- Take advantage of early registration
- Plan early for your return to school. Meet with an advisor/counselor to get assistance in planning your educational and career goal.
- Know your strengths and weaknesses. Get help with study skills and basic skills from the Learning Support Center.
- Utilize campus student services-
- Start out with a realistic course load. Give yourself time to make the adjustments to college life.
- Don’t feel self-conscious about your age. Research shows that the success rate of Re-Entry students is high.
- Get to know your instructors.
- Prior to the first day of class, locate your classrooms.
- Become acquainted with the Paradise Valley Community College Library and Computer Lab.
- Try to avoid feeling pressured if you find some of your coursework difficult.
- Get help from your instructors and/or tutors in the Learning Support Center.
- Choose a place to study.
- Focus in on your priorities, school, family, etc.