Veterans Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Only the VA can determine your qualification for VA Educational Benefits. You must submit your application online to the VA and can be done in just a few steps:

  • Apply online today if you know which benefit you want to use.
  • Visit your nearest VA regional office to apply in person.
  • Consult with the VA Certifying Official.
  • Call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to have the application mailed to you.

After you apply, use VA’s interactive map to find out how quickly your regional office is processing education claims. Your education benefits are processed at Muskogee, OK.

Once you have applied for your education benefit through the VA’s VONAPP system, you will need to provide the Veterans Services Office with the following documents:

  • Confirmation page from VONAPP application.
  • DD-214 member 4 copy. This is the copy that shows your Type of Separation and your Character of Service at the bottom of the page.
  • Program Plan.
  • Request for Benefits.

The Veterans Services Office will process your Request for Benefits and certify your classes to the VA. Once the VA processes the certification, the VA will issue payment in accordance with your eligible chapter of benefits.

Yes, be sure to apply for your financial aid at before the priority deadline each year to also be considered for grants and/or school scholarships. Please also visit PVCC’s Financial Aid page for more information.

  • Program Plan. Academic advising can help determine the best fit for you.
  • Copy of your DD-214 member 4 copy. This is the copy that shows your Type of Separation and your Character of Service on the bottom of the page.
  • Official Transcripts. The VA requires that all previous courses from other institutions be evaluated and applied. This includes military transcripts.

The GI Bill can pay you for more than one degree. For example, it will pay you for a degree in Business and then for a second degree in Computer Science, or for an associates, bachelors, or master’s degree in the same field. Once you have a degree, you could pursue another one, provided you have remaining entitlement on your GI Bill.

During the enrollment process with the Veterans Services office you will be required to declare a Program of Study. Only the classes that are on the Program of Study checklist are eligible for payment by the VA.

The VA determines your Rate of Pursuit by taking into consideration the amount of credits you are certified for and the amount of weeks that the classes meet. For example:

  • 12 credits taken in 16 weeks equals “Full Time”
  • 6 credits taken in 16 weeks equals “Half Time”

Please contact the Veterans Services Office to help determine your Rate of Pursuit.

Payments are issued monthly in arrears. For example, you receive the November payment in December. For the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the tuition and fees are paid directly to the school, the book stipend is paid to you at the beginning of the term, and the housing allowance is paid to you at the end of each month.

If you should decide to withdraw from class, it must be done prior to the end of withdrawal period. If it is done after the student may be required to pay the VA back if the student’s full time status is affected.
If the student has received any portion of the benefits i.e. the book stipend, the student may be required to reimburse the VA.

Yes, each semester the student must submit a Request for Benefits form to the certifying official. Only the classes that the certifying official certifies will be paid for.