Finals are here and you need to be at your peak in performance. Proper nutrition, without a doubt, is necessary for performing your best mentally and physically.
Food is fuel for your body and brain. It is important to fuel yourself with whole and quality foods. Sometimes a quick boost of sugar seems like a good idea but remember coffee, Red Bull, and Skittles are not going to create a sustainable source of energy for long. Steer clear of eating processed foods like chips, crackers, and cookies. These simple carbohydrates will eventually make you feel more sluggish than inspired.
Eating the right foods is paramount for your brain to operate at a peak level. Try to stick to complex carbs like fresh fruits, vegetables, and legumes and eat healthy proteins like eggs, chicken, fish, nuts, and soy. These nutrient rich foods:
- Increase blood flow to your brain
- Stimulate new brain cell formation
- Repair existing brain cells
- Protect brain cells from damage and aging
Good foods help your brain operate better. Try some of these healthy foods during your day and observe yourself beginning to think clearer.
- Increased motivation. Snacking on an avocado will help increase blood flow to the brain. Avocado is a great source of vitamins and amino acids to help keep you focused and motivated.
- Thinking about thinking. Omega-3’s are the bomb. Foods such as wild fish and game, and other organic meats, help memory, language, creativity, and attention.
- Nuts don’t make you nutty. In fact, walnuts particularly contain a very powerful plant form of Omega-3s.
- You can’t go wrong with eggs – scrambled, fried, poached or boiled – your brain needs cholesterol and contains choline, an important B complex-related nutrient.