An engaging and informative virtual panel presentation and discussion featuring six PVCC Alumni currently working in computer and technology related professions offered students a glimpse into potential career paths. These panelists shared their insight and expertise with PVCC students currently taking coursework in the Computer and Technology Field of Interest at PVCC. As Alumni, these panelists offer a relatable perspective as they were once students at our college and are familiar with the coursework offered and the college. Because of the wide array of professional experiences, they were able to share invaluable information and insights with the students who participated. Some of the insightful nuggets the panelists shared with current students were: There are many paths in IT, so find what you like. Leverage career fairs. Get good at interviewing. Networking is key. Use LinkedIn and always be willing to help others. Place nuggets around and one day they will become something. Look at the company culture and do your research. Find something you are passionate about. Don’t be afraid to try something new. Work on your soft skills. Develop collaboration skills. Be self-motivated. Don’t wait around to be told what to do. Show initiative. Find a good company and get your foot in the door. Look at the job requirements for a position you are interested in and then try to acquire the skills required.
The panelists included:
- Shane Collier, Best Western Hotels and Resorts, Senior Manager, Information Technology
- Christina (Hanna) Dakroub, MOTOR Information Systems, Application Development Senior Technical Analyst
- James Huffman, GoDaddy, Senior Software Engineer
- Eric Rel, Unified Communications Engineer at Republic Services
- Dennis Roberson, Fujitsu America, Solutions Architect
- Craig Sutton, Magellan Health, Senior Business Intelligence Specialist