The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Firefighter Operations provides the opportunity for individuals seeking careers in the fire service to acquire minimum standard firefighting skills and prepare for state and/or national certifications, including the Firefighter I and II Certification. An Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Fire Science is also available.
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Describe the basic theories of fire behavior and methods of fire control in a variety of fire operations.
- Demonstrate the appropriate and safe use of personal firefighting equipment.
- Recognize the professional and organizational structures, processes, and policies that guide fire departments.
- Demonstrate physical tasks, proper tool selection, and knowledge of operating procedures in accordance with the standards of the profession.
- Identify the hazards to health and safety related to emergency operations.
- Collaborate effectively with members of a team to achieve goals.
- Demonstrate the critical thinking, mental, and emotional skills needed to perform firefighting tasks and services.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Arizona-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information.
Formal application and admission to the program is required.
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with an academic advisor to develop an individual education plan that meets their academic and career goals. Use the Pathway Planner tool in your Student Center to manage your plan.
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include AAA/CPD150, AAA/CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|FSC105||Hazardous Materials/First Responder||OR Verification of Arizona State Hazmat First Responder Awareness and Operations Certification||0–3|
|FSC130||Fitness for Firefighters/CPAT||OR Verification of CPAT completion||0–1|
|EMT104 and |
|Emergency Medical Technology and Emergency Medical Technology Practicum||Prerequisites: Appropriate score on Reading placement test to demonstrate minimum tenth grade level reading, or completion of an Associate's degree or higher from an accredited institution. and Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in EMT104 or permission of Instructor or Corequisites: EMT104.|| OR Arizona State EMT Certification |
OR Arizona State Paramedic Certification
OR Permission of Program Director
|FSC102||Fire Department Operations||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in FSC105, FSC130, and permission of Instructor. Corequisites: (FSC134 or FSC234) and FSC174.||Critical course Gateway course||RC||11|
|FSC134||Fitness and Conditioning for Firefighters||Critical course||3|
|FSC174||Functions of Command||Prerequisites: Permission of Instructor. Corequisites: FSC102.||Critical course||2|
Gateway Course = Generally the first major-specific course in a pathway.
Critical Course = A course that is highly predictive of future success in a pathway.
Students must earn a grade of C or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Certificate of Completion in Firefighter Operations (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=149479).
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.