The Presidents’ Honors Scholarship covers in-state/in-county tuition up to 15 credit hours (plus the $15 registration fee) for four consecutive semesters (must meet eligibility at the conclusion of each semester), excluding summer sessions. The award does not cover additional class fees, books, private instruction, or music lessons. By applying for the Presidents' Honors Scholarship, the student also applies for the Honors Program.
English, Writing *To be eligible for Honors English you must score a 7+
5+* Write Placer
Math, Elementary Algebra
OR have successfully completed, at an MCCCD college, the requisite coursework to be prepared for placement into ENG 101, MAT 120, and CRE 101
In combination with test scores, students must fall into one of the following categories:
- Completion of a secondary education program in Maricopa County (including NCA-accredited, charter, private, religious high schools), with a final cumulative minimum 3.0 GPA within one academic year of graduation.
- Homeschooled student, with verification from parents, have a final cumulative minimum 3.0 GPA within one academic year of graduation.
- General Educational Development (GED) certificate completed within one academic year of graduation.
- Grand Canyon Diploma recipient completed within one academic year of application of graduation.
Must also have legal presence in the United States
- A signed MCCCD Presidents’ Honors Scholarship Application/Agreement.
- An official final semester high school transcript must be sent via U.S. mail or official college electronic transfer system (e.g. Parchment) to the college Admissions and Records Office of the Maricopa County Community College that you plan to attend. A copy can also be sent to the college Honors Program Office. It must be impressed and sealed by the high school and show graduation date, and final cumulative grade point average. Please inquire with the college Honors Program for homeschool high school transcript guidelines. (Your scholarship cannot be awarded until your final transcript has been received)
- Attend mandatory Honors Orientation at the beginning of the first semester.
- Maintain continuous enrollment as a full-time student for the four consecutive semesters.
- Complete at least 24 letter-graded credits at the 100 level or above (Pass/Fail excluded) each academic year. (A degree specific, required pass/fail courses may be within retention guidelines; must be verified with Honors Program).
- Enroll in and complete at least 12, letter-graded, credits each fall and spring semester.
- Enroll in and complete, with a grade of “C” or higher, at least 3 credits of Honors coursework/contract each semester.
- Maintain an MCCCD cumulative grade-point-average of 3.25 or higher after the first semester.
- Complete required co-curricular activities as defined by the college Honors Program.
- Students will not be eligible for renewal of the scholarship if their cumulative Maricopa GPA, including ALL credits, is below 3.0 at the end of the first semester.
- Participate in a mandatory Honors Orientation at the beginning of the first semester
- NOTE: Honors Program students should not withdraw from courses or alter class schedules without first consulting the Honors Program. College refund, drop/add, and withdrawal policies, dates, and deadlines apply to all Honors Program students.
No. There is no book stipend built into the scholarship. The value of the Presidents' Honors Scholarship is the in-county tuition for 15 credits as well as the $15.00 registration fee. If a student's total fees are less than the scholarship, the balance is given to the student and may be then used for books.
The money is received after our office verifies that all of your requirements are in place, i.e. a complete application, eligibility, received final high school transcripts, and enrollment in an Honors course. Presidents' Honors Scholarships are released during the semester as long as all requirements are met. If you have a remaining balance of fees, the Honors Program money will be applied toward that balance when it is authorized. If you have no balance, the remaining funds will be processed through CitiBank.
Yes. That Grade Point Average (GPA) will be calculated into your cumulative GPA each semester. If you fall between 3.0 and 3.24 you will be placed on Probation. Students may only be on Academic Probation for their first semester on the scholarship. If your GPA falls below 3.25 it will result in a loss of scholarship.
Presidents' Honors Scholars, who are in good standing after completion of at least one semester of coursework at a Maricopa Community College, may apply for the deferment of their Presidents' Honors Scholarship for the purpose of taking part in activities which would interrupt their required continuous enrollment at the Maricopa Community Colleges. A deferment may be granted for a maximum of two years. Exceptions to this will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Not necessarily. See our Application information for complete requirements.
No. Following a Presidents' Honors Scholar's fourth completed, successful semester they may apply for the Honors Program Honors Achievement as long as all eligibility requirements are satisfied.
No, simply have your high school send an official copy of your transcripts to the PVCC Admissions and Records Office. Make sure to not request they be sent until after they have officially posted your graduation date on the transcript. Honors and Admissions will work out the rest.
Unless your tuition exceeds the value of your scholarship, then you do not need to pay. The Honors Office will place a hold on your account to prevent your classes from being dropped and then once eligibility is confirmed, the scholarship will disburse midsemester.
You may submit applications to the Honors Office at the PVCC campus, or you may mail applications to the following address:
Attn: Honors Program
Paradise Valley Community College
18401 N. 32nd Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85032
For more information on the Honors Program use the "Staff" link on the right hand menu, as well as the FAQ link.