What is SPPF?
The Student Public Policy Forum (SPPF) is an academic program that provides an overview of local, state, and national public policy making, and citizen influence and involvement. A focus is placed on experiential learning and leadership development through engagement in the public policy process. The program teaches civic responsibility, which is one category within Maricopa’s mission statement. The district’s Office of Community Engagement oversees the SPPF program.
Why should I join SPPF?
Through your participation in SPPF you will:
- Gain confidence and interact with public officials
- Communicate effectively in a political context
- Effectively advocate for and with your community
- Learn the how and why of consensus building
- Develop and refine leadership skills
SPPF is also a lot of fun! You will make new friends from each of the ten Maricopa Community Colleges who share your passion for making a difference.
SPPF meets every other Friday for an entire academic year.
- The SPPF cohort meets every other Friday afternoon, 1:00 to 4:00 p.m., beginning September 6, 2019.
- You must register for POS285 Political Issues and Public Policy in the Spring Semester. This 3-credit hybrid class is transferable to all three state universities and has an SB general education designation.
Please see Mike Ho in Student Life and Leadership (KSC1303) for more information.