The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Linux System Administration program is designed to help prepare students for a variety of industry-recognized Linux certification exams as well as provide practical hands-on skills for the workplace. The program includes a core of Linux classes including Linux operating system basics, system administration, network administration and network security. The courses in the program will help develop a student's knowledge and skill level in preparation for employment or to improve current professional skills. Students who complete this program may seek employment in a variety of environments. The program helps prepare students for the Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA), Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE), and CompTIA Linux+ certification exams. An Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Network and Systems Administration is also available.
This program is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid.
Students must earn a grade of C or better for all courses required within the program.
Students who pursue this Certificate of Completion (CCL) should have a basic level of computer literacy including navigating the internet and computer systems or take CIS105 as indicated in the required courses. Students with the requisite skills may have the CIS105 requirement waived by permission of the Program Director.
All courses within the Required Courses and Restricted Electives areas are not applicable if taken more than five (5) years prior to the completion of the program. Consult with an Academic Advisor or Program Director for exceptions.
This program replaces: CCL/5225 Linux Networking Administration
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|CIS105||Survey of Computer Information Systems (3) OR|
|Permission of program director (0)||0-3|
|Students should select from one of the following two tracks (Linux or Red Hat Enterprise Linux):|
|CIS126DL||Linux Operating System||3|
|CIS238DL||Linux System Administration||3|
|CIS239DL||Linux Shell Scripting||3|
|CIS240DL||Linux Network Administration||3|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux Track|
|CIS126RH||Red Hat System Administration I||3|
|CIS238RH||Red Hat System Administration II||3|
|CIS239DL||Linux Shell Scripting||3|
|CIS240RH||Red Hat System Administration III||3|
- Automate system tasks utilizing Linux shell scripting. (CIS239DL, CIS275DL)
- Demonstrate the ability to install Linux. (CIS126DL, CIS275DL)
- Create, manage, and delete user accounts, groups and permissions. (CIS126DL, CIS126RH, CIS238DL, CIS238RH, CIS240DL, CIS240RH, CIS275DL)
- Apply troubleshooting techniques to prevent and address system issues. (CIS105, CIS126DL, CIS126RH, CIS238DL, CIS238RH, CIS239DL, CIS275DL)
- Monitor system functions and security through the use of a variety of system tools and logs. (CIS105, CIS126DL, CIS126RH, CIS238DL, CIS238RH, CIS240DL, CIS240RH, CIS275DL)
- Install and maintain software packages. (CIS105, CIS126DL, CIS126RH, CIS238DL, CIS238RH, CIS275DL)
- Describe and navigate the Linux file system hierarchy. (CIS126DL, CIS126RH, CIS275DL)
- Create partitions and file systems, and manipulate access to them. (CIS126DL, CIS126RH, CIS238DL, CIS238RH, CIS240DL, CIS240RH, CIS275DL)
- Demonstrate configuration and troubleshooting of Linux networking, including network protocols, client and server systems. (CIS126DL, CIS126RH, CIS238DL, CIS238RH, CIS240DL, CIS275DL)
- Configure and troubleshoot Linux security, including permissions, SELinux, access control lists (ACLs), digital certificates, and firewalls. (CIS126DL, CIS126RH, CIS238DL, CIS238RH, CIS240DL, CIS240RH, CIS275DL)
- Configure automation services. (CIS240RH)
- Create and maintain shell scripts. (CIS238RH, CIS240RH)
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.