Welcome to Paradise Valley Community College
Everyone who takes a GIL or Online class MUST view this briefing.
The choices@pvc program provides distance-learning opportunities in the following areas.
-Guided Independent Learning (GIL)
PVCC offers distance learning classes in a variety of disciplines to meet your needs:
- Human Development/Social Sciences
- Counseling/Personal Development
See PVCC class schedule or visit http://www.paradisevaley.edu/academics/distance-learning for details.
Students who are likely to succeed in distance learning classes are:
- Good time managers
- Strong readers
- Independent learners
- Good problem solvers
Distance learning classes are NOT easier than regularly scheduled classes.
These classes may be more challenging for some students because they do not have the benefit of meeting in a classroom.
Some students are more successful in a traditional class because:
- The instructor determines the learning pace
- Classes meet regularly with instructor.
Should you decide that distance learning class(es) will not meet your needs, please:
- Fill out an Enrollment/Schedule Adjustment form in the Office of Admissions & Records to drop your distance class(es)
- AND add a traditional class(es)
- OR call (602) 787-7000
What is your Start Date?
- The first day of the semester is when you start classes that don't have an extended enrollment option
- Classes that do have an extended enrollment date, the Monday AFTER you register once the semester has begun is when you start
- Online students must confirm your Start Date with your instructor(s) (Many online classes begin the first day of the semester.)
Why is your Start Date so important?
- The Start Date tells you when to begin your class
- The Start Date will be the basis for any refunds should you withdraw from the class
- If you DO NOT begin your class by the Start Date, you may be withdrawn by the instructor
The official End Date for this semester is
May 6, 2018
Why is the End Date important?
Your distance learning class will be completed by the official End Date, including the final exam.
Final grades are generally posted two weeks after the end of the semester.
Early Grade Option
If you complete your course work before the official End Date your final grade may be assigned. Contact your instructor to see if this is an option for your class.
How do I withdraw should the need arise
Process an “Enrollment/Schedule Adjustment Form” in the Admissions & Records office.
Admissions & Records office (602) 787-7000
Your Instructor and ask them to withdraw you.
Refer to the refund policy as stated in the current PVCC class schedule.
- The official Start Date AND
- The date the withdrawal is received in the Admissions & Records office
Grade VS P/Z
Some distance learning courses may be taken in either a graded (A, B, C, …) section or in a P/Z (credit/no credit) section.
In a P/Z section students will receive either a grade of “P” or “Z”:
“P” means Pass -- Credit equal to a grade of “C” or better. “Z” means No Credit earned.
“P” and “Z” grades will appear on your transcript but are not calculated in your grade point average at PVCC.
Grade VS P/Z
- Make sure you are enrolled in the appropriate section
- If not, complete an Enrollment/Schedule Adjustment Form
- Or call (602) 787-7000
- Read your syllabus/instructional materials to determine assignment due dates and course completion requirements
- Schedule time to meet course requirements>
- Start your work immediately
- Submit assignments on time as indicated by your instructor
- Communicate with your instructor on a regular basis
- Complete course requirements on time
Student ID CardsMany campus resources require a student ID card.
You can obtain a PVCC student ID card from our Computer Commons inside the E-building.
As a registered student of any of the Maricopa County Community Colleges you have access to a college Google email account that is set up automatically for you.
With this account you will receive official communication about:
- Enrollment Reminders
- Financial Aid
- Important deadlines and other Information.
Just use your MEID and password to log in.
This e-mail address will be used for official Canvas communication.
If you e-mail your instructor before the semester begins, your instructor may not respond until the first day of the semester.
For Guided Independent Learning (GIL) Students
The instructional materials are located in the
Center for Distance Learning, Q117,
Phone (602) 787-6750
After you have successfully registered for your online courses you are now ready to get started.
- Get your MEID (Maricopa Enterprise ID).
I'm a new user and need an MEID
I forgot my MEID
I forgot my password
- Once you register for a course, your profile will be added to Canvas within 24 hours, but you may not have access to a particular course until the first day of class.
- Prior to class starting, check your student email for instructions from your instructor.
- Login to Canvas using your MEID. On the official first day of class all courses will be available. If not, contact your instructor directly. Please do not contact help support.
Thank you for choosing PVCC Distance Learning.
If you have any further questions, please contact us
(602) 787-6750 or email us at
Good luck with your classes!