Image for counseling-0 page

Counseling FAQ's

Click on the questions below:


Q. How can I arrange to see a counselor?

A. Call or come by Counseling Services. Students will complete a brief intake form and schedule an appointment to see a counselor.

Q. Where is Counseling Services located and how can I contact the staff?

A. Counseling is in Kranitz Student Center. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday. 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Fridays Our phone number is 602-787-6540.

Q. What do PVCC counselors do?

A. Counselors at PVCC teach personal development and career and college success classes, assist students with personal, career and academic questions or issues, provide adult re-entry services, provide leadership training, work with students to define major for the student, help students get internships, and assist students with their resume or interviewing skills.

Q. How can I tell if I need counseling?

A. There is no single answer to this question. In general, most people can handle most of life's problems on their own or with the help of family/friends. There are times, however, when we "get stuck" or can't figure out the solution on our own. Also, many times college students find that they are a long distance from their friends/family... they don't have their usual support network to turn to. These are the times when counseling may be helpful. There are also times when people develop problems of sufficient severity that professional assistance is really needed even if one has friends/family who are available and willing to help. Here is a list of some signs that counseling might be needed. The list is not comprehensive, but it contains some of the more common signs:

  • Feeling "down in the dumps" most of the time Thoughts of harming yourself or others
  • Feeling fearful
  • Irritability, not getting along with people, or having more arguments than usual
  • Fatigue or sleep problems (sleeping too much or not enough)
  • Having a hard time paying attention or concentrating
  • Binge eating or drinking
  • Feeling lonely or sensing that nobody understands you
  • Poor appetite
  • Feeling hopeless... like there is no hope for the future
  • Not enjoying things that you used to enjoy
  • Engaging in any type of self-destructive behavior
  • Feeling nervous or jittery
  • Sudden changes in personality
  • Feeling out of control

Q. Do students really have to be mixed up to see a counselor?

A. The vast majority of the students who come to Counseling are average people with problems typical of their age and environment. If an issue is a concern to a student who may be dealing with more severe issues and concerns, Counseling can help as well.
It is common for students to come for a talk with a counselor. Being in college entails many normal developmental changes and challenges: leaving home, choosing majors, negotiating intimate relationships, and moving on when graduation approaches.

It is common for people to want to find someone to talk to while dealing with some of these complex issues. And, of course, other students may have additional concerns, such as depression, anxiety, eating concerns, self esteem issues, sexuality, family illnesses and trauma. The Counseling Center staff tries to be sensitive to the broad range of concerns that students talk to us about.

Q. What will I get out of coming to counseling?

A. The benefits of counseling can be invaluable: to be truly understood, to experience trust and openness with someone, and to learn how to counsel yourself. Seeing a counselor won't make all of your problems magically disappear, but if you have the desire to understand yourself and to change, then you've just taken a powerful step towards that goal.

Q. How long and how often are counseling sessions?

A. Counseling sessions are normally scheduled on a weekly basis depending upon the nature of the problem. Sessions are typically 50 minutes long.

Q. Will the information that I share in counseling be kept confidential? Will it become part of my school record?

A. The records of the Counseling Center are kept separate from other university records. Counselors at the Counseling Center do not normally share information about their clients with anybody outside of the Counseling Center staff. There are, however, a few exceptions to the rules about confidentiality. The most common exception is when a client requests that we share information. If a student wants us to share information, s/he will usually have to make the request in writing. Infrequently, situations arise where a counselor may be required by law to disclose information whether the client consents or not. These situations usually involve cases of child abuse or neglect, court orders to release information, or situations where the client is a danger to self or others. Please feel free to ask your counselor for more detailed information about confidentiality and its limitations.

Q. Do many students use the Counseling Center?

A. Yes, about 1000 students each year

Q. What happens if I have a problem after hours?

A. Call Value Options at 602-222-9444 or 800-631-1314. They have professional counselors available at all hours, seven days a week.

Q. Where can students get help with choosing their career and what kinds of testing are there?

A. Counseling provides a variety of services to help students choose their major and career. We offer career classes (traditional and online), one-on-one consultation, computer-aided services, and internships. We also offer testing such as The Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. We offer inventories to help you assess your interests, skills, and personality preferences.

Q. Is Counseling Services open when school is not in session?

A. Typically, Counseling is not open when school is not in session and not on the weekends. However, we are available after the end of Spring semester and during the summer. We are closed on official holidays (e.g., Christmas Day, New Year's Day, 4th of July, etc.), Winter Break and Spring Break.

Q. Do I have to be a student to obtain counseling services at PVCC Counseling?

A. We welcome non-student members of the community who are perspective students to use our counseling services.If you're interested in talking with a counselor please call Counseling Services (602-787-6540) or drop by Kranitz Student Center to make an appointment.

Contact Us

Location: KSC Building
Phone: 602-787-6540
Fax: 602-787-6565

Mon-Thurs 8:00am-6:00pm
Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm

Academic Advising:
Phone: 602-787-7060


Division Chair:

Dr. James Rubin


Marianne Auten

Diane Chapman

Cathy Mendoza

Donna Mosher

Sylvia Piceno

Marianne Roccaforte

Office Coordinator:


Martha Gould

The college of you.